Staten Island, NY
The upgrade for the Stapleton Branch of the New York Public Library included renovating the original, landmarked Carnegie Library (1907) – now a Children’s Room – and the addition of a 7,000 SF, glass-enclosed extension for their adult and young-adult collections.
Despite strict municipal guidelines that dictated minimal lamp choices, energy usage and illumination levels, the lighting for this library addition belies these constraints. Using a standard T5 lamp in a variety of fixtures and in different ways, the designers created lighting that blends with and reinforces the architecture. Most important, this diffuse source is tamed to create a hierarchy of lighting that shapes the space, highlighting some areas and softening others. The result is a design that provides comfort and interest to its users – at 25% below the energy allowance.